Pear Shaped (triangle) figure
I have a 'pear shaped' (triangle) figure. what's the best wedding dress for me?You know your body best. If you have a 'pear shaped' or 'triangle' figure, your shoulders and chest area are narrower in proportion to your hips.
Note: the 'pear shaped' or 'triangle' figure looks at the proportions of your chest, waist, and hip area. Therefore, women of many different sizes may be blessed with this figure!
Here are a few suggestions for finding the perfect wedding dress for you.
- The key to finding the ideal gown for you will balance the symmetry and proportions of your body, while emphasizing your beautiful qualities!
- Opt for a wedding gown with a fitted, elongated bodice and full skirt to showcase your petite waist while de-emphasizing your hip area. You may want to have a skirt with minimal detailing (e.g. less lacework, gathers, excessive beading). Beading on the bodice however, may work to your benefit to bring the eye upwards to focus on the top of your wedding dress.
- A strapless ball gown or an A-line wedding dress, for instance, will cascade elegantly to the floor, concealing your lower torso while displaying your upper body beautifully. Depending on your preference, you may also want to consider a princess skirt.
- Many necklines will help to emphasize your upper body and widen your shoulders to appear more proportional in relation to your bottom half. Opt for such necklines as: strapless, off-the-shoulder, square, or jewel necklines. A detailed bodice will also emphasize your upper area and have a similar effect.
- Consider the types of fabrics you want to use for your wedding dress. Opt for material that flows away from your body instead of sticking to it.
- Styles to avoid will be the exact opposite of all the above points. Here's a quick list of what not to do:
Avoid necklines and sleeves which make your shoulders appear narrower, thus making your silhouette appear more disproportionate (e.g. high necklines). The "V" of the V-neckline, for instance, draws attention downwards and therefore may over-emphasize your lower torso.
Avoid large billowing skirts or sheath and mermaid style gowns which hug the hips. Also avoid any excessive adornments at hip level (e.g. big bows, excessive lacing or beadwork).